Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What are the psychological effects of prolonged isolation on a human being?

Extreme loneliness, insanity, social anxiety and/or social phobia(a bit worse than social anxiety), depression(psychological/mental disease).





Symptoms of Depression: Loss of interest in activities that a person used to enjoy, start crying easily, isolation, despair, feeling hopeless, have suicidal thoughts/tendencies.What are the psychological effects of prolonged isolation on a human being?
Hi!





This is called sensory deprivation. It can trigger all sorts of different effects on the brain as it is unable to cope with complete isolation. Weird things can happen. People hear music, hallucinate, experience personality changes and all kinds of weird and strange stuff. See this article:





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_dep鈥?/a>





I hope this helps!What are the psychological effects of prolonged isolation on a human being?
I worked as a night auditor for ten years. I began to feel depressed, out of touch, unable to socialize, afraid to try. I let my friends slip away. I let my health go down, my weight go up. I became irritible and had difficulty sleeping.





And that's simply me working in a hotel office all night. I didn't have much contact with people, but I did have some.





Imagine how pronounced these effects would have been had I been TOTALLY isolated.
Depression, delusions, loss of personality, hopelessless, anxiety, etc.


All kinds of fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment